Thursday, August 18, 2016

Sunday 14th August 2016







Cobham - Bramley - Newlands Corner



Your leader returns for a jaunt into deepest Surrey.
We meet at a comfortable Sainsbury's cafe in Cobham where a phone call was made to the new lunch destination (nine to dine. not including me)
One day I'll actually do the published ride!
A lapse of concentration in Cobham High Street sent us toward Leatherhead but I swiftly retraced before anybody had noticed.
We head toward East Horsley, Britain's richest village in 2011 & 2015.
Up and over the North Downs and left to Albury (where the difference between the 2001 & 2011 census was one person!)


The above pictures show Bramley station in 1961 & after renovation.
Trains ceased due to Beeching cuts in 1965.

Lunch was at the Wheatsheaf in the High Street.
Tea was at the renamed Squirrel Hill cafe, Newlands Corner.

I returned home via the NDW to Staple Lane car park where I noticed a little van serving tea and cake.


The weather was dry and warm with a sunny ride home for all.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I thought that our leader would record attendance. As I had time only for a glass of Cobham(not Peckham)water, I have no idea what riders came just for the Sainsbury tea. I have recorded attendance for those at lunch, but would appreciate a nudge to identify those ghost riders for whom Cobham was more than enough, in order formally to record their presence.
Many thanks,
Jeff