Monday, February 27, 2006

Sunday 26th February 2006

"The north wind doth blow and we shall have snow..................."
"well it is the coldest winter since 1996" according to Graham who like Bob, Jake and myself arrived at Henfold lake alone. For me it was a good hour before I caught sight of the North Cheam mob and overheard Keith explaining the route (Kingswood????).
The roaring fire and mugs of coffee/tea (60p) meant there was a reluctance to brave the elements particularly the unrelenting north-easterly wind but we set off with Dougie, Bob & Grant going their separate ways.
It has to be said that Keith's choice of lunch spot, Holmbury St Mary, is one of my favourites because as a "lunch carrier", it provides a few decent seats in various locations and I managed to find one with the wind behind and the sun in front.
With half an hour to the off, I joined Mike, Pete, Daphne, Ed, Graham, Jake & Keith inside the pub for a discussion on the merits of White Down v Coldharbour for the return journey.Still undecided the topic moved to Ed who having recently dined at the C&M's expense appears to primarily ride with the Mid-weekers. Question: Is somebody who started riding with another group, considers himself to be a Wednesday rider and is quite well off be allowed to win a prize in another section. Discuss.
The up and down bit around Leith Hill proved too much for my chain which parted company with the rest of my (well maintained) bike. So with no large chainring I was forced to freewheel down from Coldharbour.
We left it to Jake and Graham to race each other up White Down whilst the remainder took tea at Denbies and discussed the sad demise of the............................................. rag & bone man.

No comments: