Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sunday 20th May 2007

With a new set of wheels, chain & cassette I set off for Wisley.
On approaching Epsom, I eyeball the clubrun and shortly expect to be tail end Charlie. However on West Hill the chain breaks apart and I stop whilst the club, unaware I was behind, disappear over the hill.
It turns out the connecting link was not properly attached (by me) and 15 mins later I had some catching up to do. So it was somewhat of a suprise to find the early arrivals sans clubrun.
The RHS was busy with the car park being relocated and the sunny weather bringing out the day trippers, the queue wasn't too bad but the prices were, £1.45 for "organic" tea (no Typhoo?) in a paper cup.
It's only the second time we've used the stop and I'm not sure if it's practical in the future after all we all have a budget.
We exited via the old road led by Simon to lunch at Puttenham, leaving Bob, Matt, Roger & Mike to make their own way home.
The route chosen was not one I would have taken but then again I like direct routes including rough stuff etc.
The assembled mass that was Simon, Ed, Ian, Steve, Ann, Pam, Keith, Janice and myself were delayed by lousy service on the food front but soon got going with a route largely influenced by me and the obvious route that took us via the NDW to Watts Gallery then uphill to join the A3/A31 junc then back onto the track that drops down into Guildford, up the cruelty that is Pewley Hill to rejoin the NDW all the way to Newland's Barn.
A fine picture of the cafe taken in 1955 hangs inside with a lady cyclist who, Keith thought, looked like Amy (Addiscombe) but with the sun still shining we sat outside.
Simon's Colnago which up until now had suffered several miles of good quality rough stuff was subjected to a further lack of tarmacadam when I suggested the "obvious" NDW route taking us down to W. Horsley.


If anybody read CTC Newsnet 25/05/07 and thought about going to the "cycle jumble" at Bosham, they would probably feel it's inclusion would guarantee a decent number of stalls.
Well there were less than 8 and I'm not happy!


As I write this, BST is on temporary hold, so my run tomorrow will reflect this. Anybody for Ashurst?

No comments: