Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday 19th August 2007

Greetings all after a enforced break because of technical problems to do with signing in to Blogger, cookies, passwords, Firefox, IE6 and anything else that shortens my attention span.

A few words about my run to Denham via Grand Union Canal. Just Ed and myself took Thames path to Teddington Lock then north to Syon Park where we found the cafe shut. On leaving the park we met Bob coming the otherway. Osterley Park was to be the alternative and this to was to prove a fruitless trip since it was also shut. Bob left us as we headed toward the GUC and a late 11's at Hayes (Bulls Bridge) Tesco.
My Dutch Vico Perfect, from the Gazelle stable, sustained a puncture, but apart from that our route was incident free arriving at Denham Visitor Centre at 1pm.
Tea was at The Orangery (Upper Halliford).

The rain was coming down but that didn't stop me, I'm keen (on points).
Unusually, I chose the higher road (A246) on account of light traffic to 11's at Shere.
The Lucky Duck produces mixed reactions amongst members with Simon ("hate it") to Ed ("I like it here") the latter more to do with his affection for attractive, young staff than the prices.
That said, by opting for £1.80 unlimited filter coffee (I managed 4 cups), dare I say VFM?
It was midday and we clearly had no intention of going any further so Simon and Keith headed off in the direction of Dorking via the lanes which left Ed, Ray and myself to ascend White Down.
Puffing, Panting, Sweating I arrived at the top with Ray barely a wheel length behind, he's 81 you know, quite remarkable. I think he said his resting heart beat is 43 bpm. Crikey, we have a super fit human being in our ranks.
33 odd miles, 35 max, 12.3 ave.
I'm handing the reins to Ed next week, I'm returning a colleague a favour and working his shift as well as my own, I hope it rains (only joking!).

No comments: