Friday, September 05, 2008

Sunday, 31 August '08

Donner und Blitzen!
Shamefaced apologies to leader Ed and others for Sunday's faint-hearted non-appearance.
Kitted up and ready to go, then: Donner und Blitzen! The Gods were really disgruntled about something! Thunder and lightning - no problem. But the torrential rain! By the time I had waited, caped up, improvised flippers and a makeshift lightning conductor, vital time had passed. With a sinking feeling I ventured out, but with no hope of reaching the starting line in time. If the North Cheam sub-aqua group had not been swept away in the torrent, which tributary would they take? Upstream or downstream? I guessed they would head for high ground and paddled my way to Epsom Downs, where I moored and kept a watery eye on the misty horizon. Wrong choice. Wrong number also in the mobile. After some time, waterlogged, I weighed the options in the balance: Westerham, but where? Would anybody be there? Or a dejected skulk back home?
I am ashamed to confess that the mangy, whining dogs of darkness howled down the voice of boldness and endeavour. It was Faintheart, not Braveheart who all too soon was stabling his dripping steed in the garden shed.
Congratulations to that stout trio who persevered and put the rest to shame!
Anon

No comments: