Monday, February 27, 2012

Sunday, 26 February 2012

Crystal Palace - Old St - Stratford - Clapham
Leader Andy (the Knowledge) relaxing at LMNH and planning the next tea stop
before visiting the olympic stadium



Art or Artifice
- The
At first I thought that this was a giant concrete mixer. Then Neil told me that it is an 'art installation', the misshapen progeny of an alliance between Anish Kapoor and an engineer called Cecil Balmond/Arup. I hereby name it: The Euro. It looks like a fairground ride that has been hit by a tsunami. Cost:£19m of which £16m has been provided by a steel magnate and £3m by the Olympic Delivery Authority. A fitting reminder perhaps of Olympian profligacy and philistinism. It will be owned and operated by the Olympic Park Legacy Company, who will charge the public to visit the observation platform. To find out more, follow this link which I have called a poke in the eye. Read all about it and add a comment to say what you think.

Jeff

1 comment:

mike morley said...

Jeff & Tartan despite the fact that I did this ride in the summer (coincident with Pete's passing away), it is a ride I would have enjoyed but after a late night out at the KPRC dinner my Sunday was just a short ride on my own. The artful sculpture does not appeal to me at all and seems a complete waste of money but then mostly Mittal's so why complain. Having trawled through Wikipedia I became more enlightened and have concluded that it will be a fitting memorial to Tessa and the Labour party, some permanent remminder of how to get things wrong