Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday 28th July 2013

I was suprised to see Wetherspoons open at 8.30 in the morning on a Sunday in Leatherhead but we had no time to linger and were away by 8.31 to arrive in good time at the 10am opening of Stooks cafe inside Newbridge Garden Centre at Broadbridge Heath.
It appeared to tick all the boxes for a new refreshment venue including a nice welcome from the owner and the poached egg for Janice (not on the menu).
At this point Ed called it a day admitting "I know my limits".The remaining five headed south to West Chiltington then Storrington.Still going south, up Chantry Lane to the top of the South Downs.
Confusion ensued trying to locate a track leading down to Clapham and in the 20 minutes or so this was taking, Terry left us to attend a social function.
Eventually, I opted for Lee Farm where a surfaced road led us to the A280 and over the A27 into Ferring.
Lunch (1.15pm) was at the Bluebird cafe right on the seafront where we met Bob.
I had a cappucino and the nicest iced bun I've ever had, light and airy not stodgy like most,but of course you can't please all of the people all of the time as these reviews seemed to indicate:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g2588242-d3191271-Reviews-Bluebird_Cafe-Ferring_West_Sussex_England.html

We left around 2.30pm to follow the coast road into Worthing and lots going on including a bus rally with a London Country Routemaster 407 which according to the indicator board used to go to Epsom via Cheam and not terminate at Sutton as they do now.
After climbing back over the downs at Sompting ,it was a fast decent into Steyning and a fast ride (courtesy of a following wind) to Southwater Country Park (4.20pm).
After tea and finding out the perils of fructose syrup we made our way home.
Upon arriving at Newdigate (6.05pm)  my legs were telling me something I didn't want to hear.
I sent the others on and I stopped and consumed a KitKat (chunky) and Milky Way (twin) in quick succession.
Early signs of the bonk caused me to additionally stop at Givons Grove garage for a sandwich.

112 miles but with a 10% discrepancy call it a ton.
Lovely summers day with a tail wind when you most need it.


www.stooksatnewbridge.co.uk

Traversing the downs

Bluebird cafe,Ferring


Southwater Country Park





No comments: