Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Severn Across 400km Audax on Saturday 3rd May

Some of you know that I take part in Audax events, but I thought I would share a few details this time.

This was my first attempt at this distance, which I successfully completed but my Edge 800 nearly died on me just before 2am on a country road in the middle of nowhere.

As the weather is improving I didn’t think that I would see any more ice, but before I could drive off I had to de-ice the car. On my way to start at Chalfont St Peter community centre I wondered how many people take part in these long distance events. About 40 people turned up, which is more than I thought. The ride out sent us through Little Missenden, Thame, Stanton St. John, Woodstock, Stow on the Wold, Tewkesbury, Newent, Simmons Yat and down to Chepstow. From here it was across the Severn Bridge, Hawkesbury, Malmesbury, Brinkworth, Great Shefford, Streatley, Goring, Henley on Thames and back to the start.

When 6am came almost half the group shot off down the road and disappeared from sight. After about 45 minutes of cycling my hands started to go numb and when I looked at the temperature on my satnav it was -1.7. I didn’t think I would need winter gloves, but at least the cold didn’t last for long and the day turned out to be dry and fairly warm.

The first stage from the start to the Blenheim Tea Rooms at Woodstock was uneventful and when I got there a large group of the Audax riders were just setting off for Tewksbury. A familiar face with a smile greeted me to stamp my card. It was Chris Beynon, who I have been on CTC tours with in the past and a few Audax rides. We had a chat while I eat my beans on toast. I was one of the last to leave there and thought I would be on my own for the rest of the day, but that was not to be even though it was slow going for me over the Cotswolds. When I finally got to the control at the Bay Tree restaurant in Tewksbury after 90 miles there was a large group there. The Bay Tree was told that a large group of hungry cyclists would be coming, but I’m not sure if the staff were that bothered as several of us were left waiting quite a long time for food. This gave me a chance to leave the place and ride with others for the first time. From here to the top of Simmons Yat I rode off and on with small groups, before I left them behind until the next control at the Tesco petrol station in Chepstow.

After crossing over the River Severn motorway bridge it was the start of the return journey. After climbing up yet another hill I passed the Somerset Monument near Hawkesbury Upton built in 1846. It looked rather tall so I thought I would try to remember that one. Here is the Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Monument.

Later on I rode through Brinkworth. Normally I don’t take much notice of town or village names but this one caught my eye. As the road sign said that it is England’s longest village. Here is the Wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinkworth,_Wiltshire. The rest of the day time ride was fairly uneventful. Occasionally riding with others, or seeing some of them up ahead and moving out of sight.

I have ridden my bike in the dark loads of times but none of those rides were for more than a few hours. This ride was about to change that as I ended up riding all night long. I wondered how I would cope with the night stage but it didn’t seem to bother me at all, apart from getting a bit cold when stopping at the controls.
At 2am Sunday morning I found the mileage limitation of the edge 800. When it gets to 216 miles it white screens then shuts down. When this happened I was in the middle of nowhere and I didn’t want to hold no paper route sheet for the rest of the route. After about 5 minutes of trying to sort it out two Willesden Cycle Club riders came past so I rode with them to the finish. I was nearly at Streatley when I managed to save what I had done and reset the counters, then it was happy and started recording again. At Henley on Thames the two guys I was riding with told me they were going to cross the Thames so we found the footbridge, and while we were crossing it I could hear lots of ducks but couldn’t see them.

Not far from the end the dawn chorus started and went on for what seemed like ages then I realised I had just ridden all night long with only a few stops.

When we finally made it to the finish at 5.15am and sat down with coffee and a cheese toasty the organiser told us the first rider back finished at 10.20pm. He must have been flying along. He also told me that my time for this event was respectable and finished about half way down the field.

I’m not sure if the Satnav shutting itself down or the new Garmin website has caused the errors but there is a straight red line on the route map. It’s not a huge problem as I have recorded most of the final part of the ride.

Satnav summary part 1
Distance: 216.02 miles
Time: 15:24:54
Elapsed Time: 19:20:21
Avg Speed: 14.0 mph
Elevation Gain: 5,938 m
Calories: 7,411 C
Avg Temperature: 9.8 °C
Avg HR: 130 bpm
Max HR: 180 bpm

Satnav summary part 2
Distance: 34.33 miles
Time: 2:51:17
Elapsed Time: 17:53:18 ??
Avg Speed: 12.0 mph
Elevation Gain: 406 m
Calories: 1,365 C
Avg Temperature:1.2 °C
Avg HR: 113 bpm

Max HR: 149 bpm

Map part 1

Map part 2


No comments: