Monday, June 29, 2020

June 28 2020 Before It's Too Late

Pleasantly warm, and the all day lively wind threatened much but delivered little until Old Malden when I was almost home.

I arrived at Claygate, neither first nor last, to discover no leader so volunteered my services. Among the other arrivals were Dave, Ed, Lillian, Pam, Ray, Simon, Terry, Tony, and most surprisingly Lisa and Mike M. Simon and Lisa had plans elsewhere.

I tried but a marked lack of interest in Claygate's attractions (two Edward VIII pillarboaxes, a horse's head balanced on its nose)  meant the first three miles were more or less offroad. We were soon well spread out starting in New Road. Before lockdown it was rare to meet or see anyone in Prince's Coverts not anymore! Nobody cared for Jessop's Well so onward we rode to the Star. A busy A243  was followed to the M25, Leatherhead's station and leisure centre. By now Ed, Pam and Tony were away which left six.

The A24 led to Pixham Lne, and the Coach Road to Brockham. Glancing at the watch I noticed it was already 1240 so we headed up Root Hill and down to the all services Henfold Lakes. With just one other cycling group, there were plenty of empty benches for lunch. Refreshed we headed back to Dorking. I've no idea what was happening on the A24; gawkers watched over by three patrol cars and one police motorbike. By Leatherhead I was on my own so Ashtead Common, Horton Park and Bonesgate stream saw me pass. Just under 45 miles door to door.

PS For those in the conversation at Claygate: In the 90s Bob devised eight routes for inclusion in the Goldeneye Sussex and South Surrey map, one of a dozen or more covering areas of England. The maps still seem to be available. I've no idea if Bob's contribution is in the latest edition       

No comments: