Monday, January 15, 2007

The Route That Jake Built

Down the Saturday wire the message came "It's closed"; "No worries Andy - an email will fix it" I replied. And so elevenses was reset for the Dorking Sports Centre. I'd like to describe the opening stages. But I was late (or so I thought); and worse appeared to follow when the level crossing gates was closed for ages. But along Ottways Lane Ashstead, I was hauled in by the bunch and we went the usual route to Dorking. By my reckoning we were Jake, Daphne, Ed, Florence, yours truly, Keith, Michael, Pete, Richard, Simon, and Steve. Here we were joined by Terry, Irene and Pam so the email had worked. After an extended stop, Pam and Simon headed for home.

An inspection of the one-way system was followed by Spook Hill. Then the Henfold route and a left turn after Newdigate church lead us into the Cudworth estate (not too muddy!). A right and another left took us into Orltons Lane and to a quiet Lamb in Lambs Green where most sampled from the menu. The brisk way back was Rusper, Newdigate and Pixham Lane to the A24 where Steve punctured on the Esses. There I departed leaving them to find Bocketts Farm and home.

No comments: