Monday, August 11, 2008

10 August 2008


The Curse of Lullingstone Castle

Sunday started with an over-ambitious attempt at 9.30am to make the 30 miles to Lullingstone by 11am. Doomed! A two hour ride and half an hour late at Lullingstone VC, not GC. The C&M flock had flown the coop. Chastened, I then explored some unfamiliar Kent countryside and was challenged by some of the many sharp little climbs that rear up out of nowhere, before sheepishly appearing at the lunch-time venue to confess my sins - some of them at least.






Romney Street is a remote little hamlet in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by climbs. I found just one inn - the Fox and Hounds - sandwiches welcome! One o'clock - no sign of the Ancient and Modern. Two pm - no C&M. Has the curse of Lullingstone struck again? Time to head for home with tail between the chainstays. A détour to the tea-time stop of Downe? I think not - Downe is out.
Later, under the shower, I ponder where I went wrong.

Jeff

No comments: