Sunday, June 05, 2011

Sunday 5th June 2011

Flaming June

At North Cheam I was glad to see Brian who on this Sunday had decided to cycle there for the start rather than go to elevenses direct otherwise it would have been a solo ride for me to Godstone. Making good time we arrived at Café Nova around 1045 where we met Andy, Jeff, Bob and Terry.

It was near Bletchingley that the first drops of rain suggested that I had paid insufficient attention to the weather forecast as I had been under the impression it was going to stay dry. For most of the day it was fine drizzle rather than heavy showers but not the sunny 27˚ we had enjoyed the previous day. Let’s be positive, we do need this rain in the south-east.

Leaving Godstone I feared that I would be the last to be left struggling up Tilburstow Hill. The reason – my usual bike is in for a service which meant bringing out an old friend, the Raleigh Rapide that I have had since my teens (the bike has given good service, that was many moons ago). It is not exactly as it was when first I rode it, gone is the 5 speed Simplex derailleur and cotter pins. I still have the Brooks saddle (I should have re-fitted it for the ride) but the rather natty white saddle bag that once accompanied it has long been lost, probably left in the garden shed or loft in a house move. Those on the ride on Sunday will agree – it is not a light machine!

The bike does not quite live up to its name (maybe it did when I was 17) but nonetheless I think our pace was reasonable. We approached Dormansland from the north east having skirted Lingfield. Beef sandwiches were on the menu at the friendly Old House at Home pub. The weather had not improved as we made our way to tea via Bones Lane and Cogman’s Lane but we were sustained by thoughts of the cakes awaiting us at Bletchingley. Sadly this was not to be. Lamingtons, so highly praised on our last visit, is now closed on Sundays.

Distance covered: unknown, there were no cycle computers in the 70s and the little counter once attached to the front wheel hub has long gone the way of my saddle bag.

Mike

No comments: