Monday, September 03, 2012

Sunday 26 August

Bagshot - Mattingley - Knaphill


With 11's at Bagshot there was an 8am start from Kingston Bridge. Some made their own way, some followed Dave and I followed the map, as for me Bagshot is terra incognita. After bevs and half a sin-laden bacon sandwich we set off in sunshine, some for home and some for Mattingley. I shan't (that is can't) describe Dave's route, though it did start with a lovely long downhill along the A30, and ended up at Mattingley. We lunched outside in the peaceful, rustic garden of the Shoulder of Mutton.

A welcome change of plan moved our tea stop from Mytchett to the Mizen Miniature Railway at Knaphill. Dave then guided the disoriented to roads they knew, to navigate home. Janice, Daniel and I headed for Leatherhead before parting. A most enjoyable ride of 82 miles, despite my somehow losing my wristwatch en route. Still, that gave me an excellent excuse to replace it.

Many thanks to Dave for the ride and to everyone for their company.

Jeff

No comments: