Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sunday, 29 December - the alternative ride

Redhill Aerodrome to Fickleshole

Lone Rider
White Bear, Fickleshole
The unaccustomed frost and ice seemed to make many quite light-headed. Redhill aerodrome was bright and sunny; the stretch to Wychcroft House  across two farm tracks manageable and uneventful. However, the decision to attempt to tackle the track past Wychcroft to the Fox and Hounds was a challenge too far for me, having reconnoitred the route last year. I therefore chose the High Road up South Park Lane, Rabies Heath Rd and down Tilburstow Hill Rd to the Fox and Hounds, where the farm track meets the tarmac. There was no sight of cycle tracks nor of lycra across the fields, but perhaps they were in front of me. After waiting a while and ignoring the closed road sign, I pressed on along Hart's Lane and Miles Lane to Tandridge, across the A25 and  up Chalkpit Lane, along The Ridge to Botley Hill, then down Beddlestead Lane, where for a few hundred yards, the ice made Hessiers Hill unrideable and nearly unwalkable, to arrive at the White Bear at Fickleshole, expecting a jovial welcome. The pub should be called The Raft of the Medusa. No twitch of C&M life to be seen. Ian A arrived to share my consternation. I then unearthed my mobile to find messages to alert me that the group had been delayed by briars and ice to take lunch at the Barley Mow in Tandridge, where Paul and Dave were repairing broken mudguards and Daniel failing to repair a puncture, with a faulty tube and no spare patch. Not sure how he managed without help.  Ian I reluctantly left to dine alone and ploughed my furrow home, to arrive in blazing sunlight.

The Lone Rider

No comments: