Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sunday 8th December 2013

I had them guessing from the start as to my outward route so.............. after the A22 to Whyteleafe we ascended the valley leading to Warlingham school.
Morrisons - Oxted for elevenses - cappuccino £1.59.
The roads to lunch were smooth and fast (12.30pm).
Initially quiet pub quickly filled due to a pre booked event.
Away by 1.30pm............sitting down in Fanny's at 2.30pm.
Most home before dark.

46 miles.
Overcast am..........bright pm.
Outwood Windmill is a Grade I listed[1] post mill in Outwood, Surrey. Built in 1665 by Thomas Budgen, a miller from Nutfield in Surrey, it is Britain's oldest working windmill.[2]
The windmill was one of a pair, as there was a smock mill built alongside in 1797. This mill had the tallest smock tower in the United Kingdom. The mill collapsed in 1960.(courtesy wikipedia)

"The Castle is a restaurant in all but name, the pub has been virtually linened and cutleryed out of existence, except that there is a pub bar which not only has pumps still on active service but with an unusually good selection of real ales. The beers on were; Harveys Sussex, Pilgrim Progress & Pilgrim Sussex from Reigate Brewery, and Brakspears Oxford. I tried the Oxford and it was very good but my brother tried one of the Pilgrims and abandoned it. Well, that's just the luck of the draw when you try beers you haven't come across before.
No doubt, by the look of the chalk board menu, you can eat rather well here for a reasonable price, but it is the beers that are the Castle's saving grace as a pub."(courtesy beerintheevening)

"I ordered tea and cake and waited for about 20 minutes till they finally delivered it outside I thought they had forgotten us.
Anyway, I poured myself a cup of tea to drink then my toddler daughter decides she would like some tea but of course it's far too hot for her! Not to worry I'll just go and fetch an extra cup so she can have her own cooler milky one. Simple right?!
Oh no after waiting forever at the till the girl directs me to the kitchen to collect a cup. However, Fanny's daughter then boomingly instructs me that she can't just give me an extra cup I have to go back to the till and pay and order one! Thus meaning I would then have the privilege of waiting another 20 minutes for an expensive empty tea cup.
Flabbergasted, I then plead with Fanny Junior for a plastic cup (whilst looking at them on the shelf) instead of gracefully giving me one she then lies and says they don't have any!
I cannot believe how rude she is. I feel sorry for the little girls who work there who she bullies around.
The Fannys seriously need to go on a customer service course!" (courtesy tripadvisor)
Oh dear Fanny..............but we still love you.............don't we?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I would very much like to know the other side to this trip adviser rant, and would not be inclined to give it airtime.