Monday, October 08, 2018

Sunday October 7 2018

A hint of autumn chill soon became a perfect day for cycling. Along the way I crossed at least two (my guess) sportifs including the Palace (Buckingham) to Palace (Windsor) where £300+ takes one on a 70-mile diversion away from the most direct route.

I was first at a crowded Pinnocks which became even more crowded so we dined alfresco under a now warming sun.  A surprise was MTB-mounted Janice showing no signs of her close encounter with the tarmac.

Much of the route was improvised but fortunately the silent minority (if any) stayed silent. Ockham was followed by the Muddy Duck and Effingham. Here we paused so I could point out to Pam the bridle path to Bookham Common; this prompted interest in a detailed investigation. It was not without incident though few saw my very close encounter with a black pooch!

We rode past the Isle of Wight (sic! photos from Janice) to Fetcham. I crammed in two more off-road sections (River Lane and Ashtead Common) reaching the Cricketers at 1245. When I looked there was no website menu. But I need not have worried - child's portions with dessert for £4.99; orange squash 40p a pint!

All that remained were the two miles to Ed's where Jeff was sitting on the doorstep. 40 miles door to door and a light covering of  dust which won't see me cleaning the bike anytime soon!

Two points : Graham, Pam, Simon, Terry, Lillian, Vic, Tony, Ed, Dave, the KPRC rider
One point : Janice, Bob, Jeff, Daniel, Alan, Brian B


No comments: