Sunday, May 03, 2020

Who's That Lady

I avoided the usual humilation of Hampton Count Road and beyond by entering Bushy Park at Cobbler's Gate and exiting at Hampton Hill. Roads remain quiet but with an  increasing number of cars  (usual occupants: one male). I took my alternative route to Staines over the Hanworth spiral, past BP and the newly demolished Ashford sorting office. Near the prison I took to the footpath which runs alongside the aqueduct towards Knowle Green. At best it's a 3 seasons route so some muddy patches after recent rain.

It was not the brightest or warmest of days and  no encouragement to continue. I headed south to join the Thames near Notcutts Laleham. NCN 4 was surprisingly quiet. Having been missing for a couple of hours cyclists reappeared in their droves at Chertsey Bridge (understandable) or climbing Woburn Hill (beats  me!).

plotaroute.com is an excellent planning tool but sometimes it produces oddities like today's invite to visit the Hersham Sewage works. As an "expert" I know this to be long gone and inaccessible. it's underlying opensteetmap data that's wrong provided by folks like me so I won't complain too loudly.

Dull all day and light drizzle on the return though not enough to dampen my clothes. 25+ miles



For SL read Patterson's footnote. Henry VIII nicked most of it for his Oatlands Palace in Walton

1 comment:

Simon L said...

Ah, perhaps I won't have a day out at Chertsey Abbey then. Looks like a nice route Graham. I have never succeeded in finding the aqueduct, let alone the path alongside it, so I will have to try harder next outing!