Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Jeff hangs up his wheels

 This is from Jeff (slightly edited)

"Dear Friends,

I am sure that we are all familiar with the need for succession planning. I’m not so sure that CTCSWL has in the past had such foresight. Which may be why I suddenly found myself with a number of unsought privileges, when our much loved and indefatigable Capo di Capo fell asleep in the night, not to awake.
He had already frightened the life out of me one day at, not now sure if it was Addlestone or Weybridge, to say that he wanted a quiet word with me. As a newbie, I wondered who I might have upset, though in those heady days, I was not overly perturbed. A number of us are now familiar with that innocent tap on the shoulder. At that time, it was an unexpected invitation to take on the mantle of Rides Sec, even though I had no idea where all the elevenses venues were to be found. Not my area. I vividly recall my first lead.
When he sadly left us, I inherited a vacuum for responsibility for monitoring members’ annual mileages.

As I am now to all intents a non-cyclist and unknown to a majority of riders, it seems most inappropriate that I should have any such responsibility at all.  Paul has valiantly and most brilliantly enhanced and expanded the role of Editor of the Sou’Wester. With my duties now minimal, the committee should consider who (or if) it wishes to choose to monitor our members’ annual mileage exploits.

It will be for C&M to decide who and how (in the absence of an AGM) to choose to represent its interests on the CTCSWL Committee. My greatest ambition now is not to lead a sprint up Pebble Hill, but  to get to the front of the queue for a Covid19 vaccination."


Jeff joined C&M/Wayfarers in 2007/8. In the early years he was a keen competitor for C&M's best attendance aka a free meal. Fittingly he became the C&M scorer in 2011 (following on from PM) and the DA Rep in 2015 (after MM).  We won't forget his battles with HQ over charitable status.

Our 2020 autumn AGM will be no earlier than April 2021 due to Covid19 and HQ accountancy changes. If anyone wants to act pro tem, let me know.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

My thanks to Graham for his kind words and my even more deep-felt apologies for the orthographic impropriety that, in the cold light of day, I alas do not have the authority to correct.

For the record: 'capo di capo' should of course be 'capo di capi'. My son's friendship with Francis Ford Coppola and my indefatigable efforts to promote exactitude fall at the first fence.

How are the mighty fallen.

Farewell,

Doh,

Jeff

Tony said...

A sad day, you have been missed on Sunday's. I raise my Capi to you. Best wishes.

Tony..