Sunday, March 03, 2024

Sunday 3rd March 2024

 

So Chris Fawkes says "dry with sunny intervals".....but wait.....did I hear him right? You mean NO RAIN ?........OMG perfect for an early Spring ride in the lanes of Surrey.

I left home with four layers, a hat, & a helmet pointing the handlebars toward Headley hoping to warm up.

I didn't but enjoyed the descent down Lodgebottom Road with the sun filtering through the trees.

The café at Waitrose in Dorking was quiet...in complete contrast to Priory Farm's café. (sighs)

"Buy a drink from the café & get a scone for £1" * says the sign so recognising a bargain, I accept the offer.

My route took us to Cotmandene where we assembled for the group photo.








We headed east on gently undulating lanes with sunshine, the birds singing & I detected a sense of satisfaction.....dare I say enjoyment in the group.....if only we knew .(sighs)
The only "flood" was where I'd expected it to be in Wonham Lane but there was no dipping our feet in the water or hesitation today & we were all out the other side before Steph had managed to reach for her phone.
We've all become experts in judging water depth!


Earlswood Lakes provided a comfort stop.




NCN Route 22 took us away from East Surrey Hospital & along Hartspiece Road, a private road if you believe the signs but cycle.travel knows better. (winks)
We pulled into the (full) car park at Priory Farm, bid farewell to Dave & padlocked our bikes. (excited - a new lunch destination)
We step into the the café & it's packed. (sighs)
I observe the full tables, the long queue to order & I'm concerned. (sighs)
Whilst the group start locating tables, I join Keith outside where he's already on his phone looking for alternatives.
And quite quickly I'd decided today was not the day to sample the delights of the Priory Farm café & it didn't take much persuading the group either.
So homeward bound, we go to plan B.
The Quality Café in Merstham.





A regular for past C&M rides mainly for 11's, rarely for lunch, but I got the impression folk were satisfied.
Thanks to Dave & Simon (backmarking), Christina & Diane (for providing me with liquid refreshment) & Terry, Steph, Lilian, Sabine, Bernard, Geoff, Keith & Maddy for your valued company.
I must also thank Dave V who is a regular face at C&M elevenses, for taking the trouble to join us.
Much appreciated!






* Only with a MyWaitrose Card & purchase of a drink from the café (says the small print).



2 comments:

Dave Vine said...

Looks like a great ride Andy, with a great crowd too. Sorry I didn't arrive in time to say more than "hi everyone". Either Dorking is getting further away or I'm getting slower.

Tartan Socks(long) said...

Hi Dave,
I hope you thought it was worth the effort....sorry we left before you'd even sat down.
Lovely weather though. :-)