Sunday, August 08, 2021

August 8 2021 - Torsion at Brookwood or the Tale of the Twisted Derailleur

 


A wet start and not the best of mornings, but the Cheam and Morden are made of sterner stuff than another local cycling club (not worth their salts, if you see what I mean) who apparently cancelled their ride because of the weather.   These flighty thoroughbreds!   Admittedly, we did have a few apologies but Mark, Pam and Graham still joined me for elevenses at Fairoaks.   It was dry when we arrived so the outside seating was preferred, but the rain soon set in again and we retreated inside to save my sausage, egg and chips from getting too soggy!

The worst of the rain was over by the time we were ready to set off, although the weather was hardly cheery!   I was rather looking forward to trying my ingenious (I think) route to Windlesham, which after the backwaters of Woking and Hook Heath, would have taken us to Brookwood, then to Bisley and West End using a few roads and paths new to me.   However, the fickle finger of fate had other plans for me and, for reasons unknown, my rear mech suddenly plunged into my rear wheel during a gear change, and was wrecked.  Fortunately, the wheel was intact.

There was only one solution.   I saw it done about 1988, and I have always remembered it lest I should ever have the need!   The trick is to remove the derailleur, then break and shorten the chain with the aim of it running on one cog only of the cassette.   With help from the others we pulled it off.   My Wolftooth missing link pliers weren't of any use in breaking the chain, but the chain tool on my Topeak multi-tool did the job in breaking, shortening and refixing the chain (just as well I had realised much earlier that the Topeak tool needs a separate hex key to operate it - there is one of the right size built into the tool, but it can't be removed to work the built-in chain tool - design fault or what).

It all seemed to take ages, but actually it didn't take all that long.   I would describe it as a get you to the nearest station fix, rather than get you home.  To make it work properly, you really need old-style dropouts with a bit of adjustment in them, otherwise it's difficult to get enough tension in the chain and it jumps about, gradually working its way onto the smallest cog then off!

Anyway, the others kindly rode with me towards the nearest train and I got home without too much trouble, although I won't be looking to repeat this experience if I can avoid it!

Graham, Pam and Mark took to the towpath after leaving me and eventually found some lunch, although not as planned.  Thanks to them for their company and their help, and we'll try my route again another time!


1 comment:

Shreds said...

If its Shimano, send it to Madison as there are current QA issues and I had similar. (Luckily at less than 5 mph). Worth trying anyway if it is Shimano?